Carson City Gazette, May 24, 1934
In the spring of 1857 Mr. and Mrs. Robert Abbott came here to make their home. They came from Southern Canada. There were eight children and the trip was made in covered wagons. Detroit was then just a big country town and some difficulty was experienced in getting the horses across the river. The mother was sent with the younger children to a hotel and was told that there was no room, until she showed them that she had plenty of money, when the manager changed his mind.
Of course Carson City did not exist. A road ran north and south and one east and west, our present Main and Division Streets.
The Abbott’s new farm consisted of an ‘eighty’ on the east side and a ‘forty’ on the west side of Division street, beginning at Main street. A little log house stood about where the Catholic Parsonage now stands. In about a year they built a new house a little south of the other one. This was the first frame house in Carson City and which with numerous additions still stands and is at present occupied by Mr. Abbott’s youngest daughter, Mrs. Samuel LaDue. This home became the gathering place for the young people of the community, and weary travelers shared its hospitality. It also housed the first post office and Mr. Abbott at one time carried the mail to Palo on horseback.
Just south of Main street lived a family by the name of Roop. One daughter of this family, Mrs. Ida Scott, is still living, now making her home in Georgia. There also were two families of Murrays and a family of Shermans, who were relatives of the Abbotts. West of Main street lived a family of Comstocks and two by the name of Brooks.
A Mrs. Bishop from the East, who owned considerable property here, proved herself a real benefactor. She brought in settlers and gave $50.00 toward the building of a new school. Best of all, she later sent a box of books that the community enjoyed and remembered all down through the years. The school house was white and the desks were blue. It stood about where the U.B. church now stands. A path ran from the Catholic corner down through the woods to the school house. Miss Adeline Burt was one of the first teachers. Attorney L.A. Lyon’s father also taught there.
The first day of school the teacher asked the children to tell her who was the President of the United State, and having just come from Canada, this little Abbott girl didn’t know ‘what it was all about’, so she listened and heard the class “James Buchanan”. The creek, close by, provided a fine playground. There was no mill pond at that time.
The nearest store was at Hubbardston. Mr. Abbott made potash and about once each year took a load to market; this meant Detroit, and the trip was made with a team of horses.
Then the Civil War came on and all the young men left for the front and the loyal women carried on as best they could. One of the worst things about the new country proved to be the suffering caused by the ague, scarcely anyone escaped it. At the close of the war a Mr. Thomas Scott came here with his nephews the LaDue brothers, and started a sawmill and grist mill. Mr. Scott had visited Carson City, Nevada, and suggested the name for the town which about this time began to grow.